Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Mr Turnover

As I am not a HR manager, I do not encounter the rampant turnover that characterises China's 'war for talent'. So, how do I know it exists, how do I know the war is raging. Well, first, by talking to HR managers across northern China and asking about their challenges. Second, by following the media and by reading surveys from major organisations like Hudson and McKinsey to understand major employment trends. Just recently though, I encountered a third way - I met Mr Turnover.

Obviously, Mr Turnover was not actually his name. He was actually called Mr Zhang. I met him at an event in Tianjin. It was just that he epitomised everything about the 'war for talent'. He graduated in 2003 and in the time since, he had got through six different roles. That's it count them, six! When he told me, I was dumbfounded. 2003 was one year after I graduated. In the same period, I have had three major roles, which I would actually consider a little excessive.

I must admit, I had read countless surveys and spoken hundreds of HR managers, all of which told me turnover in China is rampant. Yet, I had never seen a living breathing example quite like Mr Zhang. Because of this, I was keen to pick his brains.

My first question was a simple one, "Why?". Was there some fundamental underlying reason that he moved between roles? Was he so greedy that he whenever he caught a sniff of more money he could not jump ship fast enough? Did he have one particular skill that no-one else in China possesses that makes him a unbelievably hot commodity? Were the organisations he worked previously so bad at engaging their employees that he felt compelled to leave?

As always, the situation was not as simple as any one basic reason. It was as though Mr Zhang was a microcosm for China as a whole. His reasons for moving were a mixture of push and pull factors. He was well-qualified in a highly sought after field, which meant that organisations were keen to tempt him away. "Headhunters are always on the phone offering more money", he pointed out. He was, though, quick to add, "It's not just about the money. At two of the companies I only lasted around three months. This was not financial, I just did not like the atmosphere or environment."

And, what of his current job? Was he ready to make it number 7? "No, not at all. The salary is good, I feel very comfortable with my colleagues and they offer great training."

My conversation with Mr Turnover was fascinating. It certainly confirmed that China's 'war for talent' is a complex issue for which there is no quick fix.

No comments: